When it concerns lead, many homeowners that I have spoken with in Dover and New Philadelphia, Ohio are unaware of the dangers associated with it. For example, just this year, Reuters Canada noted that 28 children in Africa were killed from drinking out of a lead-contaminated water source, left there by the mining industry. Lead is dangerous and it is not to be taken lightly! There are many homes all over Tuscarawas County that have this dangerous neurotoxin on them. In fact, the EPA reported that 87% of homes built before 1940 and 69% of homes between 1940-1960 have lead paint on them. It can often be seen as peeling or flaking paint that falls to the ground, or as small as a dust particle which is then breathed into your body. Often kids will eat the paint chips because they have a sweetness to them. However, the most common way for a child to become contaminated is through dust. Lead dust is commonly found on windowsills in older homes. This is why it is so important that if you have an older home, you need to call a lead-certified company to come out and take a look. They can test it just to be certain there are no hazards present. Additionally, it doesn't just affect children. Adults, can get permanent brain damage. In fact, some of the symptoms of lead poisoning are: fatigue, irritability and nervousness. Overall, the key idea that I am trying to convey is that lead is very dangerous and before attempting to disrupt any lead surfaces on your home, please call a lead-certified company first. Your safety is important to us.
Payne, Julia. (2015, May 15). At Least 28 Children Killed by Lead Poisoning in Nigeria. Reuters Canada. Retrieved from http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKBN0O013I20150515
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. (2010). The Lead-safe Certified Guide to Renovate Right. Washington, D.C.: Author.
Vyas, Shayan. (2015, Feb 1). "Lead Poisoning." KidsHealth - the Web's Most Visited Site about Children's Health. The Nemours Foundation. Retrieved from http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/home/lead_poisoning.html#
Enderby Contractors is proud to announce that we are a lead-safe certified company. If we can help in any way, please call us at: 330-323-1142
Serving Dover, Ohio and the surrounding areas.